Check out this talented young lady who came into the store and played for us on her Ukulele! You can check out some more of her music at www.facebook.com/trennedygarnermusic
Also, did you know these ukulele facts?
• The ukulele is a small instrument that is really popular with Hawaiian music. It was derived from two Portuguese instruments: the braguinha and cavaquino.
• The first one was made in 1879.
• Ukulele actually means ‘jumping flea’ in Hawaiian but it’s never called that. It’s usually referred to by it’s nickname: the uke.
• There are four sizes of the ukulele, the standard is the suprano which is about 60cm. The other sizes are concert, tenor, and bariton.
• George Harrison of the Beatles was a big fan of the ukulele. At the end of “Free as a Bird,” he plays the ukulele in the style of Formby.